PET Grammar - Past Simple - Past Continuous 1
Match the verbs in bold to the uses of the past tenses. Past Continuous => PC/Past Simple => PS ANSWERS
- I saw a great film two weeks ago.
- She was reading a book while I was watching TV.
- I was talking with Ann when the telephone rang.
- First he woke up, then he had breakfast.
- I studied German when I was a child.
- This time yesterday I was playing football.
- John was always coming late.
- I lived in Ireland for five years.
- (PC) interrupted actions in progress
- (PS) a series of actions in the past
- (PC) action going on at a certain time
- (PS) duration in past
- (PS) completed action in the past
- (PC) repeated actions irritating the speaker
- (PS) habits in the past
- (PC) parallel actions