Past Simple vs Past Continuous 3
Rewrite the sentences using the prompts. Use short forms and punctuation marks. You will need to use
past simple or past continuous
1) cut | bread | when | he | cut | his finger.
2) Mark and Emma | travel | on Sunday | I | still | prepare | the party for their arrival.
3) take | the pizza | out of the oven and | place | it | carefully | on the worktop.
4) Jimmy | be | at school | he | constantly | lose | things.
5) have | a shower at the time | so | she | not hear | the doorbell.
6) live | in Amsterdam | I | walk | through the park | every day.
7) you | do | from 9.30 to 10.30 | yesterday morning?
8) try | to open the window | my telephone | ring.
bread when he
(PC) ACTIVITY IN PROGRESS + WHEN + (PS) INTTERUPTED ACTION
ACTIVITY IN PROGRESS + INTTERUPTED ACTION
While Mark and Emma
on Sunday, I
was still preparing
the party for their arrival.
WHILE + (PC) + (PC) PARALLEL ACTIONS
WHILE + PARALLEL ACTIONS
the pizza out of the oven and
it carefully on the worktop.
(PS) + (PS) A SERIES OF COMPLETED ACTIONS
A SERIES OF COMPLETED ACTIONS
When Jimmy was at school, he
was constantly losing
(PC) FREQUENTLY REPEATED ACTIONS IN THE PAST
FREQUENTLY REPEATED ACTIONS IN THE PAST
a shower at the time, so she
(PC) ACTION IN PROGRESS AT A SPECIFIC POINT + (PS) COMPLETED ACTION
ACTION IN PROGRESS AT A SPECIFIC POINT + COMPLETED ACTION
in Amsterdam, I
through the park every day.
(PS) COMPLETED ACTION + (PS) HABITS IN THE PAST
COMPLETED ACTION + HABITS IN THE PAST
were you doing
from 9.30 to 10.30 yesterday morning?
(PC) ACTION IN PROGRESS AT A SPECIFIC POINT
ACTION IN PROGRESS AT A SPECIFIC POINT
to open the window, my telephone
AS + (PC) ACTION IN PROGRESS + (PS) INTTERUPTED ACTION
AS + ACTION IN PROGRESS + INTTERUPTED ACTION
TURN OFF YOUR CAPSLOCK!